Sunday, September 18, 2016

Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years?

Planning the 5-year term
When you are appearing for an interview, there are so many different job interview questions which you will be asked. While it is hard to pre-guess each one of them, there are a few stereotyped questions which often pop up. One such question has to be, “where do you see yourself in 5 years.”
Now, we do understand that it is not the easiest of the question to answer because of heck, often we don't even know about our immediate future and 5 years seems to be too long a time. Yet, the main objective of asking the question is to analyze how adept you are at planning.
Regardless of the job post, you are applying for; you will need to have good planning skills as your inability to do so might make you a liability for the firm rather than an asset.

Here is a good video; 


Understanding the answer
Now that we know the reason behind the questioning, it is logical enough to think about the answer. Before I tell you as to what would be the best answer, let me talk about a few things you cannot afford to reply.

Humor can be a little dangerous
Some of us tend to go a little overboard when it comes to humor. Never risk your chances by coming up with replies like, “I see myself exactly where you are” or worse still, “I see myself being your leader”. You have no idea of what kind of temperament the interviewer has and thus your reply might offend him. As this is too big a risk, you should steer clear from humor at your interviews.

Don’t be ambiguous
The next thing you need to be sure of is not to show your confusion. You have to be confident even if you do not have a 5-year plan. So, it is the time that you come up with an answer beforehand as this will help you dodge the question in a befitting manner.

The sample replies
Here are a few answers which you can possibly use for the sake of answering the question.
“In 5 years of time, I see myself handling the responsibilities of my job in an impeccable manner. I aspire to lead a team with confidence and to inspire them to achieve their set milestones. I hope to grow as a person and to add more skills to my existing capabilities.”
This is a confident reply and shows how skilled you are.  Another possible reply is as follows.
“As I have just started in this field, I am not completely sure of the 5-year plan. I hope to do justice to my duties and I have a stable job wherein I am happy with my performance. I want to evolve and improve in my own role.”
You can, of course, come up with your own answer. Feel free to gauge what would be the best reply but make sure that you keep all these points in mind. When you are being interviewed, every single reply of yours is going to be analyzed. So, think and answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment